Access Statement and Environmental Information
Access Statement for Woodland Views Holiday Cottages
The self catering cottages are the result of a conversion of an old agricultural building based on our smallholding in rural Staffordshire. We have tried to provide as much information as possible in this statement, if you have any queries please do call. We look forward to welcoming you.
We have a basic website.
Bookings/enquiries can be made via email or phone.
The nearest town is Uttoxeter which is 3 miles away which accommodates a train station; there are accessible taxis at the station
We can arrange for shopping to be delivered on arrival.
Arrival and Car Parking Facilities
There is ample car parking space adjacent to the cottages with specific allocated parking for the cottages.
Car park is level and is gravel.
Parking for Beech Cottage is 16m away from the entrance. The entrance is reached via a path 1.24m wide, level paved with slabs. There are external passive infra red lights.
Parking for Lilac Cottage is 30m away from the entrance. The entrance is reached via a path 1.24m wide, paved with slabs. There are two steps half way down the path which are 11cm high, 38cm deep and 1.24m wide. There are external passive infra red lights along the path.
Beech Cottage has a small step into the cottage - 24 cm high. The door is 90cm wide and the key hole lock is 116cm high. The door leads into a small entrance hall 1.26m wide, tiled floor, with the twin bedded room accessed via a door 73cm wide off the hallway. The twin beds are 91cm wide and 59 cm high. The twin bedded room is compact. A door 72cm wide off the hallway leads into the dining/sitting room which is carpeted. This area is open plan. The dining table is oval, extendable and can be pulled out into the room. The table is 75cm high, 1.22m long, 82cm wide in its compact position. The sitting area has two double sofas at right angles to each other. There is a Teletext TV provided with remote control and built in dvd player. Also available is a music centre with remote control. There are two steps 15cm high, 23cm deep, 1.22m wide leading into the kitchen which has a tiled floor. There are full laundry facilities within the kitchen. Kitchen worktop height is 90cm. Oven door is drop down. The kitchen is evenly lit with spotlights. There is a fridge freezer available. Off the kitchen a door 72cm wide leads into the downstairs bathroom. Bath height is 53cm. Integral bath rails are available on both sides. Toilet seat height is 42cm. Stairs off the kitchen through a door 71cm wide leads to the upstairs double bedded room , the bed is 136cm wide and 63 cm high, and dressing room.
Lilac Cottage has a small step up into the cottage - 28 cm high. The door is 107cm wide and the key hole lock is 119cm high. The entrance door leads straight into the kitchen/sitting/dining room which is open plan and flat, part tiled and part carpeted. There is a round dining table which is 75cm wide, 71cm high and can be moved away from the wall if necessary. The sitting area has a double sofa. There is a teletext TV provided with dvd player and remote control. Also available is a music centre with remote control. There are full laundry facilities within the kitchen. Kitchen worktop height is 90cm. Oven door is drop down. The kitchen is evenly lit with spotlights. There is a fridge with ice compartment available. Off this area is an alcove 69cm wide which leads to a small downstairs hallway and the stairs leading to the first floor bedroom. The double bed is 154cm wide and 61cm high. The stairs are 124cm wide . This cottage accommodates a shower room with access door of 70cm wide. The shower has a step into it 12cm high and the shower door is 64cm wide. The toilet seat height is 42cm. The bedroom has a doorway of 70m wide.
The cottages are decorated in a neutral colour scheme and are carpeted/tiled throughout. There are two smoke alarms fitted in both cottages. All bedding provided is cotton, and duvets and pillows are non feather. There are large areas of lawn for guests' use, some of which is flat and some of which has a slight slope. There is children's play equipment available on the lawn, and wooden outdoor garden furniture.
Both cottages are no smoking, and we regret that pets are not allowed. The nearest shops are in the market town of Uttoxeter which is 3 miles from the cottages. The cottages are situated in a rural location and vehicular transport is advisable, although a taxi service is available in the locality. Mobile phone reception does vary depending on supplier, but both cottages are equipped with wi-fi internet connections.
Green Laundry Practice: We encourage our guests to follow a green laundry practice. The following measures may help:
- Please use eco-friendly washing powders - phosphate free. A supply can be found in the cleaning cupboard below the sink.
- Please use low wash temperatures and full loads where possible to save energy.
- Please peg out washing when conditions permit.
- Please put unused towels in a separate pile to used towels so that staff can establish which need washing.
If you have any queries on the green laundry practice please feel free to discuss these with us.
Woodland Views Holiday Cottages were developed from an unused, derelict cow cubicle building during 2003. Great thought was put in their development to minimize the impact on the rural surrounding area and in order to offer guests the opportunity to enjoy the countryside as much as we do each day.
Our eventual aim is to achieve a carbon neutral status - we are not sure yet how long this will take, but we are committed to it! We want our guests to enjoy a fantastic holiday here with us in Staffordshire, and we also want to look after our environment. We think that increasing numbers of you will be looking for a holiday with a difference and we want to provide it.
Here are some of the things that we are already doing:
- We recycle glass, paper, tins, cardboard, milk/fruit juice cartons and plastic
- Wherever possible, we use email and telephone, rather than paper
- We recycle our used printer cartridges
- We provide our guests with a separate container in which to place all kitchen waste.
- We supply our guests with recycled toilet paper and kitchen paper for use during their stay
- We have installed oil fired central heating systems in both cottages and fitted radiators with thermostatic valves
- We have installed double glazed windows and doors to reduce drafts and heat loss to a minimum.
- Curtains over external doors help to further reduce drafts and heat loss
- We have invested heavily in insulating the cottages with dry lining with 75mm cellotex insulation in the solid brick walls, 75mm Styrofoam insulation under the floor and 250mm quilt loft insulation
- We have added extra insulation in the loft spaces
- We have an ongoing programme to install low energy lighting where suitable.
- Wherever possible, we have fitted minimum ‘A’ rated appliances to reduce energy consumption
- We make as much use as possible of the sun and wind to dry our laundry
- We monitor electricity usage to help identify potential savings
- The bath in Beech Cottage is fitted with an over-bath shower and Lilac Cottage is fitted with a walk in shower as water saving alternatives.
- All toilets in all our cottages are dual-flush
- All cottages are stocked with non-bleach cleaning products that do not adversely affect the functioning of our septic tanks
- Our cleaning staff do not use bleach and make maximum use of e-clothes!
- We do all our own laundry on-site using short-water cycles at 30o using non-phosphate detergent
- Wherever possible, we use local suppliers. Our holiday cottage renovations were undertaken by local builders, architects and craftsmen
- We offer local suppliers the opportunity to match prices we have received elsewhere
- We buy in bulk to reduce packaging waste
- We supply our guests with complimentary toiletries in refillable plastic bottles for use during their stay
- We provide guests with information on local transport, and a place where they can lock bicycles up safely
- We have lots of information on "walks from the door" to give guests the choice of a car free break or holiday.
- We offer to arrange collection of guests arriving from nearby train and bus stations
How about you, our guests?
We can work together to make less of an impact on our surroundings and we ask our guests to do the following:
- Use our recycling facilities: Reduce, Re-use and Recycle
- Please try and use as little water as possible
- Only turn heating up higher if necessary
- Follow the instructions regarding the septic tanks; chemicals kill the natural cleaning cycle
- Buy products with less packaging
- Respect the Country Code, and dispose of litter carefully
- Buy local food and services whilst you are here. This supports the local community that you have come to visit and reduces food miles
- Enjoy the wide range of beautiful walks right on your doorstep at Woodland Views
- Bring your bikes - we have secure bike storage