Things to Do in our Local Area
The activities are endless with many beautiful walks on the doorstep. A twenty minutes drive away and visitors are in the heart of the Derbyshire Dales with walks galore! There are many sporting facilities in the area including golf courses, leisure centres and horse-riding. Alton Towers is only fifteen minutes drive away for those preferring a white knuckle ride or alternatively wishing to enjoy the superb gardens on view. There are also a wide range of factory shops in the Potteries area, together with excellent pubs and restaurants close by.
- Alton Towers (08705 20 40 60) Alton, ST10 4DB. This renowned theme park is only 15 minutes from the door.
- The Heights of Abraham Matlock Bath (01629 582365) Matlock Bath, DE4 3PD. A ride up in a cable car from just upstream of the Railway Station crossing the main road and rising up to the rocky spur 450 feet above to two show caverns, Rutland Cavern and Great Masson Cavern. Also exhibitions and play area.
- Gullivers Kingdom (01925 444888) Temple Walk, Matlock Bath, Matlock, DE4 3PG. Family theme park with rides suitable for young children and Royal Cave
- Chatsworth Farmyard & Adventure Playground (01246 565300) The famous garden contains spectacular waterworks and you are welcome to walk, picnic and play here and in the surrounding park. The farmyard and adventure playground welcomes young visitors and families and has special activities throughout the season.
Fancy a massage, manicure or facial during your stay here? We are now able to offer you the chance to pamper yourself during your stay at Woodland Views:
- My Personal Sanctuary provides a therapist who will come to your cottage.
- The Marjorie Centre for Complementary Health Treatments ranging from Aromatherapy Massage, shiatsu, Hydrotherm Massage and Indian Head Massage to name but a few.
There are lovely walks on the door-step at Woodland Views, and both cottages have laminated maps with local walks marked out for you. Go on….off you go!
You could also have a look at http://www.activederbyshire.co.uk. In Derbyshire there are many great places to walk, whether in the Peak District or more locally. There is a large range of trail networks across the County that provide good, safe walking routes.
Family Days Out
- Uttoxeter Race Course (01889 562561) Uttoxeter Racecourse has something for everyone. Whether you are new to racing, like to enjoy a special day out or you are a loyal follower of the Sport of Kings, come along to Uttoxeter and you are guaranteed a day of fun and excitement in beautiful surroundings.
- Snowdome, Tamworth (08448 000011) The ultimate snow, ice and leisure experience.
- Monkey Forest (01782 659845) Experience the unique opportunity to walk amongst 140 free roaming Barbary macaques. You will be able to discover this amazing species as they exhibit their natural behaviour with no bars or cages to hinder your view.
- Cine Bowl, Uttoxeter (01889 566644) A cinema and bowling alley under one roof.
- Conkers (01283 216633) The award winning attraction at The Heart of the National Forest, a unique mix of indoor and outdoor experiences to keep you and your family engaged for hours
- Rosliston Forestry Centre (01283 563483) From quiet walks to action-packed family fun, uncover nature at its best.
- Churnet Valley Railway (01538 360522) Visit the history of the line from 1849 to 1996
- Local towns: Uttoxeter, Stafford, Derby, Burton on Trent and Stoke on Trent all have shopping centres.
- Denby Pottery Factory Shop Denby
- Royal Crown Derby Factory Shop
- Georgian Crystal Tutbury
- Trentham Shopping Village Trentham.
- Tissington Trekking Centre (01335 350276) Tissington Wood Farm, Tissington, Ashbourne, DE6 1RD